Thursday, November 15, 2007

Archive Boxes

My exploration of eAudiobooks led to even more fascination. Besides the many printed books you can download from Project Gutenberg (including some in languages such as Finnish and Tagalog), you can download audio books in various formats both by human spoken and computer voices. The most interesting thing I did here was explore the links on this site. One link led to the Internet Archive and since I have lots of archive boxes to move myself, I wanted to know what they were archiving. Lots: including moving images, video games, software, and vlogs...so I found out that a video log is like a blog on film. And I found out about the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. With this site, you can type in a date range and surf an archived version of the Web---well, as much as the Alexa web crawler could find at the time. This is truly Time Travel! Science fiction come real: return to 1992 and see what the Web says then. The Internet Archive contains more text than any library in the world, including the Library of Congress. Project Gutenberg is already being used in university courses instead of textbooks: I downloaded a lot of original documents from the Reformation last year. This is going to have serious consequences for publishers, just as audio books and podcasts will change the way media is produced and consumed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.